Monday 18 July 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2


Worth waiting a decade for! A fitting and tremendous climax to the Potter chronicles. Thank you JK, Daniel Radcliffe et al.


I was frustrated with the final instalment being released in two parts - but this was, as I said, worth waiting for. I haven't read any of the books but Stephen Fry's characterisations have been filling our home for many many years. My daughter has grown up in the world of Harry Potter - it will be for her a defining hallmark of her teenage years.


This film brings everything together. I won't spoil any of the plot just in case there is another sad person waiting for the surprise of the story in film. What I will say is that the story and its depiction is the clearest recasting of the Christian Gospel story you could ever wish to see. It is full of hope, forgiveness, redemption, salvation and above all love. The ending isn't altogether happy - but a lot better than it might have been given where the story gets to at certain points.


The producers have left it open for a whole series of spin-off franchises and sequels. How long will it take for MGM to roll out the Albus Potter?


Following on from In Bruges it is interesting to note that in addition to Ralph Fiennes's obvious appearance in both films, that Fleur Delacour is played by Clémence Poésy!


This really is a first class film that will keep you on the edge of your seat all the way through. Join
the hoards and swell MGM's coffers. Say thank you JK and connect with the light side. I wonder what
Pelagius and Augustine would make of it all?


I'll give this 8.5/10.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that it's a tremendous achievement (Draco's terrible beard in the last scene aside) and the echos of the gospel moved me to tears (especially the cloud of witnesses with Harry in the forest.)

Betsy Mitchell Henning
(Cedar Ridge)

Post a Comment